Credit for the following blog post goes to author Marianne Drenthe of Marmalade Photography. You can find her original post at her website.
The photographic art you choose to place on your wall is ultimately the result of the vision of the photographer. This vision, coupled with what you wear to your session, the environment, the lighting, even the mood the subjects are in at the time of photographing, creates the work that you will want to proudly display on your walls forevermore.
Your first step in the process is more about determining who you are, who your family is and then seeking a photographer that reflects your style. For instance let’s say your family is extremely outdoorsy and loves playing on the beach. To start determining what style you like, browse through photography website portfolios and determine if any of the styles shown there would be a good fit with your life and family style.
Finally after a bit of internet research, you narrow it down to two photographers who do what seems like solid work, the sort of outdoor look you desire. It is now time to ask yourself: Do you like photographer A’s style over photographer B’s style? Is it because the people in the images of A’s style are having a great time and it seems very caught up in the moment vs. B photographer’s images that are more posed, looking in the camera? Whichever photographer you decide is right for you, make sure you clearly communicate what your desired outcome is with the images. Do you want fun spontaneous images or a more formal and posed portrait. Also have a discussion about how you intend to use the images. Are you looking for wall portraits – art to showcase in your home, or do you simply want some prints to put in an album.fh
So what is custom photography? Ultimately it is about choice and expertise. Custom photography is about finding someone with the right experience who will photograph your family, give you devoted one on one attention without the feeling of a crowded portrait studio, and with the confidence that you will get a great product you’ll be excited to display proudly in your home.
- A custom photographer will meet with you to discuss your family and your interests and be interested in getting to know what you’re all about.
- A custom photographer will want to make sure they understand your needs and what you are looking for out of the session, so that you leave happy and satisfied.
- Typically a custom photographer will show you a selective gallery of images that meet the photographers’ high standards and creative sensibilities.
- Often the images are fully edited images-color corrected with blemishes and dark under-eye circles removed.
- Custom photographers are also known as boutique studios, offering a range of products and unparalleled service. Think Lexus vs. Hyundai, think Nordstrom vs. Wal-Mart.
A custom photography experience should have you, the client, and your experience as the central focus of all they do!
Here at Tanya Boggs Photography our number one priority is your family and working together to create a legacy that will bring you joy for years to come.